Friday, September 4, 2015

Two weeks in

I just finished the first two weeks of school, and I have had more fun with this beginning than any I can remember.  Last year, I was too busy trying to figure out how teaching worked again, but this year, I am again comfortable with what I am doing.  (But not complacent!)  I've had the chance to collaborate with other teachers, and I have learned the names of all 100+ of my students.  All of my classes are fun; the students are pretty engaged (even after a rough quiz or two); and I'm happy with the climate for learning we are building.

I don't know too much about the students beyond their names, yet.  Some are really engaged, and vocal about their excitement.  One student blurted out in the middle of class, "This is really fun!".  Many others dive into the problems and seek out suggestions from classmates.  I am really thankful for their energy, enthusiasm, and willingness to engage with others they may have just met.  There are also a handful of kids who appear to be having some sort of difficulty, and others who have not said much at all.  I will need to spend next week attempting to reach out to them, so they don't get lost.

I'm looking forward to learning more about my students, and helping them see why I think math is fun, beautiful, and power.  (Yes, the noun is purposeful; more on that later.)    

No comments:

Post a Comment