Friday, August 14, 2015

What Am I Grading? (Part 3)

After talking to a colleague about my grading policy, I found that she has a similar grading policy, but states the weights of the categories a little differently.  Rather than 75% tests, she states that the homework and quiz grades together count as a test grade.  This works the same as my system, but her students seemed to respond more positively to the system.  (Am I giving away too much to my students by telling this?)

We also talked about how to cue students to important problems in the homework, and how to give students choice about which homework problems to focus on.  Additionally, we brainstormed ideas about how to have students practice writing about their thinking, and how we might provide feedback (not necessarily a grade) to this work.  Lots of ideas, but I am not yet sure which I will incorporate into my classes.  It was really exciting, thought-provoking, and satisfying to talk to another teacher about our work.  (Thanks, Cory!)  I think I was missing that last year.

Finally, I saw a really short article today, "Is grading killing learning for our students?"  which raises issues about grading and learning that I continue to worry about.  In particular, how do I create (or balance?) a culture of learning and a culture of performance?

As this year starts, I want to work on few things regarding grading:

  • providing growth mindset messages to my students
  • providing helpful and actionable feedback (not necessarily a grade) to my students about their work  (balancing learning and performance)
  • making sure my expectations for good work are clear.

I'll have to revisit my thinking as this year goes along.

No comments:

Post a Comment