Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Why I love math




The other day, I came across the following problem:  Given two squares, both with the same side length, where a vertex of one square is fixed at the center of the other, what is the maximum and minimum area of the overlapping region?  I sat with it for a few minutes, thinking about the different ways I might draw the figure, like in the diagram here, and how I could represent the pieces that change, like the length of the part of a side of the red square that is inside the blue square, or some angle of rotation of a side of the red square.  I anticipated using some trig function, which got me a little excited since I will probably be teaching trig next year.  I soon realized the solution, which turned out to be something different from what I thought it would be, and recognized a connection I had not anticipated.

So I started thinking, would the same thing happen with other shapes?  I tried equilateral triangles, and quickly realized there was a different thing happening here.  Which has led to more questions about other polygons, polygons of different sizes, combinations of polygons …  I am still exploring some of these.  (I’ll post some of my thinking on my questions and solutions later.)

Some might think that after being a math teacher for a long time, the topics become a little old, a little stale.  Not so!  I am always finding problems that are interesting and often have surprising or elegant solutions.  (That’s the best part.  An unexpected solution or connection is like discovering a great restaurant or reading a good story.)  Most often, solving these problems needs nothing beyond a little algebra or a little trig, which makes it even more fun, because I can share the problems and discoveries with my students.  The follow up questions I think about are always an added bonus, and while I never seem to quite finish answering all the questions, it’s always nice to revisit them later.

No comments:

Post a Comment